Kindness is sharing the other boot

Tess is very much like her father. Full of life, inquisitive, outgoing, lots of personality, passionate, determined... which is sometimes quite challenging in the form of a two year old. But yesterday I was such a proud mama when I came across this scene.



You see, Tess has had to do a lot of learning very quickly in the last few weeks. 

Her world, as well as ours, has changed dramatically. Her once very peaceful, tropical, haven of a home has been invaded by 12 very loud, demanding and sometimes unkind, hurt and vulnerable children. She has had to learn how to control her feelings, how to have appropriate physical boundaries (yes even at the tender age of two)  but most of all she’s had to learn how to share. Her toys, her space, the trampoline, and as Tony is working long hours, and we sometimes see him whilst he is on shift with the kids, she’s had to learn how to share her precious daddy.

Shes doing really well but I can see sometimes that it has been hard for her.
But Today when I saw this my heart melted.

 It had been raining very hard all day and I had promised Tess she could go and jump in muddy puddles with her new pink wellies in the afternoon. I was watching Tess from a distance whilst trying to explain for the fourth time to a very small boy why he couldn’t pick Clara up. When I went to check on Tess I saw this and I saw the pure kindness of her simple act. 

She loves her little friend L, and to her sharing the other boot made perfect sense. Ridiculous kindness, unashamed generosity. Her compassion had made her uncomfortable.  It humbled and challenged me. When was the last time I gave more than I was comfortable with.

Dorothy Day, a famous activist, once wrote “ If you have two coats you have stolen one from the poor.”  It’s very extreme and challenging but Jesus often asked people to look at how they were handling their possessions.



But today I was so proud of my little girl and her simple act of sharing her prized wellington boots. 

NB: I wrote this several days ago but have been too busy (washing mud stains maybe?!!) to post. This wonderful little chap who stole Tess' heart left today. She will miss him lots but we are happy that his situation is resolved. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow!! Modelling Jesus at 2! My hero Niece Tess ❤️😍😘
Annie said…
This is lovely :) Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

home visit to Chris

Changes in Hope house

Nutmeg and Orange infused Butter